Mini dental implants are small implants that do not need to be completely inserted into your jawbone. Mini dental implants have two parts comprising a titanium post and a socket with a rubber O-ring that attaches the tooth to the post. A mini implant measures about 1.8 to 3.3mm in diameter and 10 to 15mm long.
What are Mini Dental Implants?
A mini dental implant is a small artificial root that is compatible with your body and smile. Similar to other implants, these are of smaller diameter versions made from titanium. Generally, titanium is the preferred choice of material for the mini implants as it is well accepted by the body and its ability to fuse to the bone.
Mini Dental Implants are less expensive compared to other treatments. It can be used in cases where the ridge is too narrow for full-sized dental implants. The small dimensions of mini implants give more flexibility when there is a significant amount of bone loss. They also can be fixed immediately.
How long do mini dental implants last?
Mini dental implants last the same amount of time as traditional implants in the right patient. With good oral hygiene, the mini dental implants can last the lifespan of the patient.
How is the procedure for a mini dental implant done?
The mini dental implant is a relatively simple procedure performed under local anesthetic. It is a painless procedure when compared to pulling out your tooth. It is a minimally invasive surgical technique that is done under controlled conditions. The implants' heads protrude from the gum tissue and provide a strong, solid foundation for securing your dentures. There is less discomfort during this procedure that lasts for about 48 hours. Most patients can eat a couple of hours after the surgery.
What is the MDI Denture Stabilization System?
The MDI System comprises a small titanium alloy implant that serves as the root and a retaining fixture fused into your denture base. The implant's head is shaped like a ball, and the retaining fixture acts like a socket with a rubber O-ring—the O-ring snaps over the ball when the denture is seated and holds the denture firmly in place. When installed, the denture gently rests on the gum tissue. It is a simple procedure that can be conducted in less than 2 hours under general anesthesia. The healing period of this system will be quicker than the traditional implants.
How do you maintain mini dental implants?
- The mini dental implants must be cleaned and brushed as you do normally with your natural teeth. You should thoroughly brush under and around the implant crown.
- Clean at least twice a day with a soft-bristle toothbrush.
- You should thoroughly brush under and around the implant crown.
- Brush your teeth with a nylon-coated interdental brush to clean hard-to-reach places.
- Floss daily with waxed tape or implant-specific floss.
- Similar to natural teeth, food and bacterial remains must be removed after every meal. If not removed, the plaque will cause inflammation of the gums leading to bleeding.
- Ultrasonic cleaners containing 50-50 peroxide solution is ideal for ensuring that the retaining fixtures remain free from bacterial infections.
- Regular check-ups with your hygienist should be ensured.
Dental Design Studio located at Scottsdale, AZ has expert dentists who can provide the best treatment plan for all dental requirements. Call at 480-382-0337 to schedule a consultation with the dentist to know more about dental treatments.